First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, January 26, 2009

Oughtta be Criminal

Friday mornings are often reserved as family mornings. I usually take Fridays off, and sometimes Em and me and the boys go out to breakfast. That was the case this last Friday. The boys chose the "Pancake House." We know it as IHOP. Let me say that I love IHOP and I love pancakes. I think they make a quality product. We actually had a buy one, get one free coupon. All the more better, right?

Em and I ordered pancakes. She chose blueberry and I chose the new butterscotch rocks. The boys got the kids menu pancake face. Em and I got large chocolate milk. No meat. Just cakes. Did I mention we had a buy one, get one free coupon. With the coupon (so minus one adult meal) and a 16% tip, our bill was $26.78. Are you serious? For a large glass of milk, they charged us $2.89 each. That's not a glass of milk, friend, that's a gallon of milk. Without the coupon, our breakfast would have costs over $30. After re-attaching my arm and leg and walking to the minivan, I told my beloved, "That's the last time we're going to IHOP for a long, long time." I don't begrudge them. I'm not boycotting them. That's just not a good investment for my family in these economic times, and I can't be responsible with my finances in a Godly way and spend $30 on breakfast. Heck, kids eat free at Digger's on Sundays and free on the weekends at Steak-n-shake. I've got college educations to pay for one day. I can't spend $30 on pancakes and 2 glasses of milk. Just one of those things that makes your wallet go "hmmmmm".

No comments: