First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, February 23, 2009

Discipline, Discipline, Discipline

Discipline is my new word. I haven't mastered it yet, and maybe that's why it's my new word. In fact, I'm quite certain I haven't mastered it. That's why it intrigues me. Ecclesiastes 9:10 says, "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." There will come a time when discipline won't matter. What I've become increasingly aware of is how wasteful we are of the opportunities we have in life. Opportunities to serve, opportunities to love, and opportunities to work with all our might.

What I'm finding is that there is a rhythm to discipline, and as one thing gets out of whack, it messes the rest up. And one of the biggest reasons we mess up is the lack of focus. We are thinking about what we want to do or ought to do instead of what we're currently doing, meaning that we very rarely do anything with "all our might." That's not the way of Jesus, who was always present in the moment. That is a discipline, and one I'm trying to learn.

No comments: