First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, October 3, 2011

Those Who've Gone Before Us

My grandmother's birthday is today. I think she's 95. Really, there's not too much difference between 93 and 97. Once you get to that point, every year is just an accomplishment that you've added one more year to a really large number. She lives in South Florida a long way away, so I don't get to see her much anymore. But I'm grateful for her.

I love listening to stories of old people. When I talk to her now, I want to hear about the past. I want to hear about her life growing up, I want to hear more about my grandfather (who I barely knew), and I want to know what her parents were like. She is my last living grandparent, and every day that passes I know is a gift. Someday soon, a part of my past, my family history, will be gone.

I've found that my generation does not appreciate the past and the generations before us like we should. Every generation thinks they have it all figured out when their in their 30s and 40s. I think in our 50s and 60s we become less sure if we've figured out. In our 70s, we've lived long enough to know that we were wrong when we thought we had it figured out, and in our 80s and 90s, we realize that we were trying to figure out the wrong things. There is too much wisdom in that WWII generation, and it will someday soon be gone. In my lifetime, there will come a day when there is no longer a person alive who was alive during WWII. The world has changed a great deal since then, mostly for the better. However, there so many lessons in that history. So many lessons in those lovely people.

I'm presently reading Exodus, where the Israelites are trudging through the desert for 40 years. People that started that journey at 40 were 80 by the end of it. When God commanded them to "Honor your father and mother," it meant something. Don't go running off without them. Don't forget them and leave them for dead in the desert. Slow down and treasure them. I move pretty fast in my life, but I know I need to slow down and listen a little to the wisdom of the past, especially those in my family. I'll bet you do, too.

2 comments:

Tena said...

Hi Carter, I have really enjoyed ur last 2 blogs. After my Daddy's sudden death on 9-2-11 I sure am treasuring all my conversations with him on growing up in his day. Tom had the honor of speaking on behalf of our family at his memorial service. Because of all his talks with Daddy he was able to highlight many special events that Daddy was a part of. He was 1 of those WW II veterans and so proud of it! I sure miss my Daddy and long for more time with him which I will have 1 day! Treasuring each moment, Tena

Carter McInnis said...

Thanks so much, Tena. It is special to treasure those moments. Glad you've got some good memories -- they never die!

Hope you and yours are well.