First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

A Different Kind of Thanksgiving

I went to a Bible Study on Monday night, and one of the things we talked about was the things we are thankful didn't happen. Basically, when we had our heart set on something and just knew it was what we wanted and maybe even what God wanted, but it wasn't in the cards. Later on, we learned that God had a bigger and better plan. On this Thanksgiving week, that really struck a nerve with me. There are a million things I can think of that I'm thankful didn't happen or turn out the way I planned. I thought I'd list a couple. Feel free to leave your own list in the comments. It's sort of like those ol' Unanswered Prayers that Garth Brooks sang about.

I'm thankful...


  • I didn't get the daughter I hoped for because all my wild boys are blessings

  • I didn't become a pro football player because chances are I wouldn't have the life I have now.

  • God didn't listen to me when I tried to convince him that she was the one (multiple times over.) Turns out He knew who "the one" really was for me.

  • I didn't decide to go play football at a small college because I'd have missed out on all the friendships I made at UGA.

  • My daddy didn't take a job in Jackson, TN he got offered when I was in middle school. I can't imagine having gone to high school anywhere but Palmetto.

  • I didn't pursue that music career in Nashville.

  • My long-time youth pastor didn't decide to stay at my home church because it gave me the chance to connect with another, new youth pastor. And now I have two men that impacted my life greatly.

  • That Jarvis Jones' career at USC didn't work out.

  • Planting a church hasn't always gone according to plan because it has humbled me and taught me more than I can imagine.

  • That my wife didn't have to work the week she was to bring her grandmother to visit my great aunt in Carrollton, GA.

  • Jesus doesn't hold a grudge for all the mistakes I've made.

Be thankful for the things that didn't work out because there just might be a Great, Big God behind the scenes working out something better.


Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: