First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Slow Down Before You Do Something Stupid

"It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way." Proverbs 19:2

Do you have a wreckless faith? I've probably been accused of that from time to time. I'm kind of like a bull in a china shop when it comes to Jesus, and that's not always good. I've been blessed to have been a Christian for 26 years. I was raised in Church and have tried to follow Jesus all along the way. Sometimes, because I'm so 'used to following Jesus', I'm not as patient as I should be with direction. I have zeal without knowledge. Neither can stand alone. Knowledge comes from the Scriptures and deep times of prayer. Zeal comes from God's urging and Spirit inside you. Knowledge does no good without the motivation to follow God's call. Zeal does no good if it's wreckless and uninformed by God's wisdom.

We are such a busy society, and Christmas is a great reminder of the hustle and bustle in which we all exist. This passage is a reminder to slow down and test our motivations, actions and words against the knowledge of God's Word in the Bible and in our heart through prayer. The right thing at the wrong time or the wrong thing at the right time won't work. If we are patient to lean on Jesus, we can do the right thing, or say the right thing, or even just think the right thing at the right time. When God is leading you to a conversation, a relationship, a job change, a big move, a new direction, and life decision or anything...make sure you don't act hastily. Sometimes we just need to wait for confirmation in prayer, check our motivations with Scripture, or seek Godly counsel from a trusted mentor. Don't run off without knowledge. Then, when you do get the knowledge the decision requires -- run like the wind.

1 comment:

Ms.Betty said...

Thank you for the reminder to slow down. I'm struggling with a difficult decision. I pray God leads me with Knowledge!