First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 7 - Judges

"The angel of the LORD came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. When the angel of the LORD appeared to Gideon, he said, “The LORD is with you, mighty warrior.” “But sir,” Gideon replied, “if the LORD is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our fathers told us about when they said, ‘Did not the LORD bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the LORD has abandoned us and put us into the hand of Midian.” The LORD turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian's hand. Am I not sending you?” “But Lord,” Gideon asked, “how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” The LORD answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together.”"  -Judges 6:11-16
If I titled Gideon's call into ministry and leadership, it would be called "Several Excellent Excuses."  From the beginning, God's messenger tries to instill confidence in Gideon, calling him "mighty warrior."  This does not fit how Gideon has seen himself.  Gideon is a bit of whiner and sees himself has nothing.  Maybe that's his excuse for whining.  He offers two peeks in this passage into his mindset.

  1. If God is with us, then how come all this bad stuff has happened to us?  This is a big sticking point for many of us.  If God really loves us, then why do bad things happen to us?  If God is for us, then why do I continue down this path of bad luck?  It's really quite simple.  First, we live in a broken world where God doesn't always get what God wants.  We have choices.  We don't have to choose God's will.  When others act in defiance of God or when we choose to do the same, it affects the reality in which we live.  It doesn't mean God doesn't love us.  It simply means God is allowing us the freedom live in that love or live how we want.  Secondly, God sees a bigger picture.  Sometimes, God is using circumstances to reveal himself is a bigger way in our lives.  Sometimes God is weaving together a story that we'd never believe.  Sometimes what sees bad ends up being a blessing.  Bad stuff happens.  That doesn't mean God doesn't love you.  It means life is simply happening.  The key is figuring out how to respond in God's love.
  2. Lord, I can't.  God will not call you to little things.  God will not call you to do something that seems attainable.  God will not call you to simple ministry.  God will call you to grand visions, complicated ministry, huge missions, and tough jobs.  And God really doesn't like to hear, "I can't."  I hate hearing my boys say, "I can't."  Most of the time, they are saying "I can't" to something they've never tried.  As their father, I'm thinking, "How do you know you can't, you've never done it!" and I'm also thinking, "I'm not going to let anything bad happen to you."  I believe God is thinking the same thing.  Moreover, God is calling us to grand visions not so we can prove how big and bad we are, but so that He can reveal his power and glory in and among us.  God's response to Gideon's excuses?  "I will be with you.  I don't care how small, weak, or insignificant you think you are.  You are significant because the God of all creation is with you."
What a message from God!  We need to hear that same thing.  It's a big world.  It's easy to think you don't matter.  It's easy to get discouraged by negative forces and a run of bad luck.  It's easy to think that you're weak and small in the grand scheme of things.  Know that God is weaving a story that He wants you to be a part of.  Know that God is with you.  And that it is because of His presence that you will succeed.  You are significant.  You are His child.  You are a mighty warrior...even on the days you don't feel like it.




No comments: