First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

My 9/11

It was fascinating and awe-inspiring to watch some of the specials on TV about 9/11.  It will always be a day to remember, and there is a somberness that accompanies the day.  There are still families without loved ones because of the evil acts of that day.  There is still heartbreak because of that day.

9/11 means something different to me, though.  Four years later, we started Church of the Way on Sunday, September 11, 2005.  Many people told me that I was crazy for picking that date.  It made sense to me.  It was the first Sunday after Labor Day, and the heart of the Fall is the great time to launch a church.  But, to me, it was more than just about the time of year.  September 11 would always be easy to remember.  No one would ever forget our Launch Day.  Moreover, I believe in a redeeming God.  9/11 is a dark day in history, but the launch of Church of the Way would be a day of light for our community.  It would become a date that we remembered with positive feelings instead of negative feelings.  And that's the way it's been for me.

It has been the greatest joy of my ministry to lead this incredible church.  I've had the honor of marrying people, baptizing babies, baptizing children, teens and adults.  I've seen lives change, addictions broken, and families healed.  I've cried over it and gotten chills over it.  And, many people have been impacted because a group of dedicated disciples decided that 9/11 would be about something else.  I'll never forget 9/11/01.  But I'll also never forget 9/11/05.  Happy Birthday, Church of the Way!

No comments: