First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, January 25, 2013

I will remember you...

I thank my God every time I remember you." Philippian 1:3


This past week Church of the Way lost a member of our extended family. Barbara Bledsoe passed away early this week. Barbara was a member at our Mother Church, FUMC of Lawrenceville, but attended Church of the Way regularly when we met in the warehouse near Scenic Hwy. Barbara was a sweet soul and an encourager. She left behind a legacy. As I remembered her this week, I thought about the table cloths and fabric she spent hours sewing when we first started our church. We're still using some of those tablecloths and fabric today. She served in any way she could, and when you walk in to see all that black fabric, know that Barbara Bledsoe's hands were on it a long time ago.

There will come a time when every one of us are remembered -- a time when we no longer are. When that time comes, what will the world think of us? What will be people's response when they remember us? The Apostle Paul said he thanked God when he remembered the people of Philppi. I certainly thanked God for Barbara this week. But what about us? We will all be remembered one day, and we get to choose how we are remembered.  When someone you know and love dies, it alway centers me back to some personal reflection, and it's increasingly clear to me that we get the biggest say in how we are remembered.  What if we were people that othere's thanked God for when they remembered us because we showed the world a little glimpse of Him.



No comments: