First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"Preacher, I've got a few more questions about heaven."

Alright, this will finish up our 'heaven' questions.  Lots of thought provoking stuff.

  • Considering how violent people are in the name of religions, how will we know heaven will be peaceful?
Violence is the result of an inner pain.  Simply, hurting people hurt people.  People that are whole don't hurt others. We hurt others when we feel slighted, less loved and incomplete.  The violence that happens in the name of religion is wrong and not of God.  God is a God of peace, and heaven means living fully in God's presence.  Violence is a result of sin.  There's no sin in heaven.
  • Do those in heaven have awareness of what is happening with humanity?
Man, that's a great question.  The best answer I can give is, "I don't know."  I don't think so.  It's hard to imagine that we could know about the pain and hurt while we're in heaven and it feel much like heaven.  But I know that this heaven is different than the new heaven and earth in the resurrection.  I want to say, "No."  However, Revelation talks about the prayers of the saints and Hebrews says that we are "surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses" after referring to those that have gone before us.  So, I don't know.  I know heaven is bigger and something I can't quite imagine.
  • When people die, do they go to heaven then or are they risen at the second coming?
Yes.  Jesus seems to say that we (our spirits) do go to heaven when we die.  He told the thief on the cross, "Today, you will be with me in paradise."  Today.  Not a long time from now.  However, the Bible says that those in Christ will rise in the resurrection.  Our bodies...literally...resurrected.  The sea will give up its dead and we will will rise.  Then, we will be given new resurrection bodies.  Do I understand it all?  No, that's just what the book says, and it is the hope of those in Christ.  We say it in the Apostle's Creed:  I believe in the resurrection of the dead.  That's what I believe.

No comments: