First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Sunday, May 12, 2013

What is a disciple?

"But even if I am poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you." Philippians 2:17


Are you ready to be poured out? Discipleship has been on my heart a lot lately. I'm concerned that American churches are full of people satisfied with shallow faith and few moving moments a year in worship. There is so much more to faith. God calls us to radical abandonment. God calls us to not jsut be converts to Christ, but to be disciples of Christ. I recently read this quote a friend posted on Facebook from British Evangelist Mike Pilavachi: "Christians have bumper stickers and catch phrases, believers have creeds and promises, disciples have scars and stories."  That hit me square in the forehead.

Christianity is not an anecdote. Faith in Jesus is not about easy answers and catch phrases. It is messy and sloppy. It is sometimes painful. It is a process. And it is beautiful. The Apostle Paul equated it to being empty of all that is 'us'...being poured out. I want to be poured out because I want to be emptied of me and filled with Jesus. I'm not there yet, but doggone it, I'm working on it. Can you imagine what would happen in our communities if we decided to be poured out, to be dissciples, to open ourselves to the scars, so that we might have story to share? Would you dare pray that prayer? Would you dare ask God to empty you of yourself? It's a dangerous prayer. But it's the only way to live, friend.

No comments: