First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (3.13.14)

Hey there Church of the Way!

I hope you're having a fantastic week and enjoying some of this spring-like weather.  It's almost here!  I'm so excited about what God is doing at Church of the Way.  Yesterday, we met with our builder to begin to dream about renovation plans.  It's starting to come together, and when it does I can't wait to share with you the exciting days ahead.

This Sunday, we're continuing the series "How It All Went Down" as we take a look at "The Garden & Arrest" of Jesus.  We'll be following up last week's message about the cup of grace Jesus offered us.  That wasn't the original cup on the menu.

Thought for the Week
"Be merciful to me, Lord, for I am in distress; my eyes grow weak with sorrow, my soul and body with grief."  Psalm 31:9

I've been thinking about grief a lot lately.  Grief is simply dealing with loss.  We think about the death of a loved one when we think of grief, and that is certainly the most final and traumatic loss, but there are all kinds of losses in life.  Loss of dreams, relationships, friendships, jobs, money, and on and on.  I felt weird for a few days and I realized I was dealing with grief.  It wasn't even over something bad.  Simply, a good friend is moving away, and I was grieving.  Things will...change.  Change is a part of loss.  And everything is always changing, so in turn, we're kind of always dealing with grief.  The key is to remember that God is with us in loss and disappointment.  God is present.  No matter the change or grief you're doing through, God is with you.  And, there are better days ahead.  We serve a God who has big plans for us.  If we can focus on what is ahead that we're gaining rather than what we're losing, we learn to handle change and loss better.  It isn't easy.  Jesus grieved.  We all grieve.  Give yourself space and time to grieve, but know that God is there, and you have a future.

In Christ,

Carter 

No comments: