First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Robin Williams: Three Things the Tragedy Can Teach Us

Some movies that seem to be on TV a lot.  A few of them always stop me for at least 10 minutes of viewing.  Talladega Nights.  A Few Good Men.  Old School.  Country Strong.  Bruce Almighty.  National Treasure.  And Mrs. Doubtfire.  Sometimes I stop for more than 10 minutes while surfing channels on a lazy evening.  Every time I stop for a few minutes on Mrs. Doubtfire, Robin Williams makes me chuckle.  We've seemingly lost that kind of comedy in modern culture.  Like many, Williams' death on Monday brought me sadness.

Robin Williams was raised Episcopalian.  Of course, none of us really know how much his faith played a role in the inner workings of his heart.  We know he brought laughter to millions of others in a brilliant career.  We know he struggled with substance abuse and depression.  We know he reached a point of despair that caused him to take his own life.  His death sheds light on a subject often left in the shadows, especially in the church.  There are really no answers to some of the deep questions a situation like this begins to ask, but there three insights that I think are worth considering.


  1. Life over career.  There is no question that Robin Williams was a smashing success in his career.  If he was in a movie, you simply knew it was going to be good.  If he was on Letterman, you were going to stay up and watch.  If he made a cameo on a sitcom, it would be one of the most memorable episodes.  Dead Poet's Society.  Good Will Hunting.  The Awakening.  Mrs. Doubtfire.  RV.  The Birdcage.  Patch Adams.  He could do it all.  But there were obvious holes in his life.  I don't think I'm passing judgment to say that none of us want to be remembered in our personal lives for three marriages, substance abuse and suicide.  It breaks my heart that someone so gifted, whom I loved to watch perform, was battling so many personal demons.  Nevertheless, it is an important reminder for any of us chasing success in a career that succeeding in life, love, and relationships far outweighs the successes of business or work.  It's possible a "successful" career can even be detrimental to the rest of life.  It's not worth it.  We shouldn't have to choose.  We can do both.  But choose nurturing life and relationships over career.  I don't know if Williams chose career over life.  What is clear is that his professional life soared while his personal life struggled.  It's at least a reminder to nurture our hearts and families first.
  2. Substance abuse.  It's no joke.  I don't know anyone who abuses drugs or alcohol who's story ended well.  I know a ton of people who turned things around from addiction and began writing a beautiful story.  You can turn it around.  You really can.  But you're probably going to need help.  Nearly all of those stories of turn-around include therapy or a program or rehab.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Those are people who chose to do whatever it took to get help...to change...to start over.  Don't mess with this stuff.  It won't end well.  It may not end in suicide or an untimely death, but it WILL end with a trail of brokenness and heartache.  It WILL NOT end well.  But you can re-write your story.  God is waiting with pen in hand to help rewrite it.  He loves, loves, loves a good second-chance story.
  3. Depression and Suicide need to be talked about in church.  These are real issues.  I wish I could say 'just trust in Jesus more and everything will be okay.'  That's not the case.  Jesus is pivotal in this, but I believe Jesus has gifted talented and wise counselors and physicians to help.  Depression is a real problem and sickness.  You're not crazy or just sad.  It's okay to see a doctor.  PLEASE SEE A DOCTOR!  Talk to someone.  See your pastor.  Talk to a friend.  Then see a doctor.  We don't need to sweep depression under a rug in the church.  We need to help people.  I don't understand it all, but I want to help people get to doctors that do and can help them.  If you know someone might be struggling with depression or thoughts of suicide, do whatever it takes to help them.  If you're struggling with depression or thoughts of suicide, talk to someone.  Heck, you can email me here.  Jesus loves you so much he died for you, and He has a big plan for you.  Whatever you're dealing with, He wants to walk with you and there are countless others who love you and want to walk with you, too.
I don't have anything profound to add to Robin Willams' death.  I wish it weren't so.  I wish he'd called someone who loved him when he thought there was no hope.  I wish he'd stayed away from drugs and alcohol.  I wish he'd nourished his soul and relationships more, even if that meant making a few less movies.  But I don't know the details.  You don't either.  What I do know is there are lessons to learn there that I can apply to my own life.  And there are lessons that I want to apply to those I love who might be struggling with the same demons.  I want them to know that there are many who love them and that there is a NAME at which even the darkest demons shudder.



No comments: