First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Because of me

Lord, the Lord Almighty,
    may those who hope in you
    not be disgraced because of me;
God of Israel,
may those who seek you
    not be put to shame because of me.
-Psalm 69:6

What will others seeking God think of God because of me?  It's a staggering thought.  That little verse in Psalm 69 says a lot.  What do people think of God when...

  • I'm angry?
  • I'm tired?
  • I'm frustrated?
  • I'm at my whit's end?
  • I'm at the gym?
  • I'm hungry?
  • I'm at the ballpark?
  • I make decisions?
  • I speak to them?
  • I listen or don't listen?
  • I have the opportunity to judge?
  • I make a mistake?
  • I am around people not like me?
  • I'm tempted?
One of the chief reasons that people choose to not attend church or give faith a chance is because those who have called themselves Christians have disgraced God by the way they live.  For those of us that call ourselves Christians, this is a challenging passage.  In what ways are we disgracing God?  Are we putting Him to shame?  

Well, I guarantee you that you'll make mistakes.  It's early, and I'm certain I've already made some today.  It's not about perfection.  It's about growing, becoming perfected by the Perfect One, and letting go of our own way of doing things.  Let us give God a good name today because others see Him in us.

No comments: