First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, April 10, 2015

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (4.10.15)

I am so pumped about our new series starting this week called "Why are Christians so...?"  We're going to talk about some of the negative connotations that Christians have in the world, why that is, and what we can do to change it and be a force for good.  If you have friends that are skeptics or have questions about faith, this is the time to bring them.  I'm looking forward to sharing with you.

Also, don't forget this week is "Second Sunday Serve" and we're taking up a big collection of toiletries and hygiene items for "Save Our Seniors."  You've still got time to pick up some things to care for some folks in our community.

Thought for the Week
"The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it"  Psalm 24:1

During Spring Break, we took our boys to visit the Tellus Science Museum up near Cartersville.  We had never been.  They've got some pretty cool stuff.  The history of earth, the study of rocks, the weather, volcanoes and all is pretty fascinating.  It's a big world out there.  And it's all God's.  It is his handiwork.  But...we are His, too.  We are the pinnacle of His creation.  He knows us and calls us by name.  He sent his Son not for the powerful volcano, the magnificent sea, or the colors of sunset.  He sent His Son for His People.  You.  Me.  Us.  So, if I belong to this great and mighty God, who loves me so much and who set the stars in the sky, what am I worried about?  Why would I live in fear?  Why would I fret over the small things of this world.  For this whole world is His.  And I am His.  I can trust His power and sovereignty over all Creation.  Over the wind and waves.  And over my problems.  Over the issue in that relationship, over that pending court case, over the illness, over the addiction, over the nagging habit, over the tension at the office.  For I am His.  And He made this place.  His awesome imagination thought it up.  He rules over it.  And, yet, He has chosen to love me and you above all of it.  What are you so worried about?

In Christ,

Carter 

No comments: