First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (9.10.15)

I am so excited about this Sunday as we begin a new series in our 10-month theme called "The Journey."  We're beginning a series called "The People of God" in which we're learning about Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and the birth of the Hebrew people.  What I believe is that we find much of our own story in these stories.  We'll be talking about God's initial call to Abraham to be the father of His people.  I can't wait to share with you and hope to see you there.

Don't forget about the Baptism Course coming up THIS Sunday after worship at both campuses for those interested in baptism.  Baptism is one of my favorite things to be a part of in ministry, and I'd love to celebrate this with you or your child.

Thought for the Week
"So we called out to Yahweh, the God of our fathers, and the Lord heard our cry and saw our misery, hardship, and oppression."  Deuteronomy 26:7

Are you at the end of your rope?  I know so many people that seem to be at the end of their rope.  They are on their last straw.  They are worn out and worn down.  They are broken.  Life has a way of doing that to you.  Parenting zaps you.  Work grinds you to a pulp.  Aging is relentless.  Stress is real, and burdens are heavy.  The world beats you up.  Your reality is not what you thought it would be.  The bills are stacking higher, the people that need you at work and home need you more and more.  You are being pulled in a million different directions.  You are in despair...barely hanging on.  I want you to know that when you are at the end of your rope is when God hears your prayers the clearest.  Maybe we pray our best prayers then.  Maybe the distractions are gone.  Maybe we stop pretending when we're finally broken.  Whatever it is, I hope you'll cry out to God then.  I hope you'll call upon the one who created you.  The Lord sees you hanging on, and He will hear your prayer.  And He won't let you fall farther than He can catch you.  I believe that with all my heart.  I've experienced it too many times myself. I've seen it with my own two eyes with too many people.  Cry out to the one who made you, even...especially...if you are at the end of your rope today.

In Christ,

Carter

No comments: