First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Tough times, tough people and a tougher God

I read a line in a book recently that went something like this, "Just because you're going through tough times doesn't necessarily mean you're outside of God's will."  I had to let that sink in for a moment.  It's so true.  It's so profound.

There is kind of an underlying sentiment that almost all of us share that if we're going through something bad, we must've done something wrong.  God is judging us, angry at us, and out to get us.  God is the big bully in the sky, and we just need to get back aligned with him and our lives will be smooth sailing.

This thinking comes from the myth that if we will follow Jesus that our lives will be rainbows, unicorns and lollipops.  Everything will be okay with God in our lives.  He will protect us and lead us into greener pastures.  I'm just not sure that's accurate.

So, the only natural response to tough times is thinking we've done something wrong.  We're not doing what God wants us to do.  There's no Biblical merit to that thinking.  You might be going through tough times precisely BECAUSE you're smack dab in the center of God's Will.  The world might be opposed to God's will, so if you're in it, the world might be opposed to you.  There's just no correlation.  Life is up and down, and there's little we can do about it.

The task is to remain faithful.  Now, to be sure -- sometimes our sin and stupid decisions put us in a tough spot.  We usually know when we've done that.  But sometimes the test results just come back positive.  Sometimes we just get caught in the massive layoff.  Sometimes people betray us.  Sometimes someone rear-ends us.  Sometimes the water line leaks.  Sometimes life happens. And it's not because you're against God's will.

So trust Him.  Don't wait for things to turn around to trust Him.  Don't wait till he 'comes through' to prove himself to you.  That's not faith.  Trust Him in the valley.  They say tough times don't last, but tough people do.  Maybe that's true, but I've faced times in which I didn't feel as tough as what was going on around me.  But God is tougher.  Trust him in the season of mess.  It's not because He's turned His back on you.  He's there.  He'll outlast it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband has sundown dementia and I often say out loud "Lord, what have I done to deserve this"? He always thinks he doesn't live in this house and it happens every night. Lately he has been hollering at me. I read where
when this happens you just walk out of the room and go into another room and read. Then I feel so guilty.

Many times I have gotten ready for Sunday School and at the last minute he will call and ask for something, which makes me late. Then I just go on to Church (FUMCLV). We are both 87 and I have some help, but it looks like when I need help they are not here.

Mary Ann McCarthy

Carter McInnis said...

Mary Ann, know that God walks with you that valley. God bless and keep you!