First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, November 18, 2016

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (11.18.16)

Hey Church!

I hope you're having an awesome week.  It's a big Sunday this week as we host our annual Turkey Fry.  Plan to be a part of the awesomeness!  You can bring food, make a financial donation and/or volunteer to help fry, wrap/package or deliver.

Also, this week we'll finish out the mini-series "Overdrawn."  This week we'll be talking about 'Debt.'  See you there!

Thought for the Week
"“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the Lord.  “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:8-9

I have a confession that's fairly terrifying:  I have no idea what God's plan is.  When I was a little bit younger in my faith journey, I used to think I could see over the horizon to what God had planned.  I can't. Sometimes I see glimpses, but I honestly just don't know.  I have learned this the hard way, trying to manage the Holy Spirit to fit into my idea of what I think God 'should' do.  It never really works well that way.  It's better this way.  Now, that means that as I grow in my walk with God (and this is true for you, too) we actually need more and more faith.  This means my trust level has to go up astronomically because I have no idea what's in store.  Frankly, many people are incredibly uncomfortable with this proposition.  By nature, most of us like predictability.  The guidance of the Holy Spirit is anything but predictable.  We. Have. No. Idea. What. God. Has. In. Store. Next.  Absolutely no idea.  His ways, his thoughts, his plans are on a different level than ours. If we are to believe this, then it means we must trust God deeply when he seems to take an unexpected turn.  This means we must have high levels of faith that God knows what He's doing.  It really boils down to trust and faith.  I started with a confession, but can I share with you a reality:  You have no idea what God's plan is either.  You have no idea what God wants to do in your life 10 years from now or 5 years from now or 10 months from now.  You have no idea what that will mean for the next 2-3 months and how He'll need to turn you in His direction to position you for that plan.  You have no idea the people you'll meet to prepare you for that plan.  You have no idea the disappointments that will happen that will end up looking like important crossroads.  You and I just have no idea.  So we must trust God every single day.  I have learned (through enough hard lessons), that He is worthy of my trust.  His ways are better than mine.  I want what God wants.  Not what I want.  Might as well trust Him.

In Christ,

Carter

No comments: