First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (1.19.17)

Hey Church!

Are you living the revolution this week?  I hope so.  The Revolution series has me thinking about my own life.  This week, the series continues as we talk about what it means to have a Revolution in our church.  I believe God has big things in store for us as a church if we are obedient to Him.  I hope you'll come be a part of it!  AND YOU'RE WEAR YOUR FALCONS GEAR TO WORSHIP!

If you're new over the last few months, stick around this Sunday for 10-4.  It's 10 minutes after worship on the 4th Sunday of the month to meet pastors and find out how to take the next step to get involved.

And don't forget Serve Team sign-ups are this week.  Where will you serve?

Thought for the Week
"Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: 'Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.'"  Mark 8:34

As another inauguration approaches our country, I am always in awe of the process.  It's one of the things that makes our country unique and beautiful.  We call it the peaceful transition of power.  Think about it.  Only once in the last 70 years has a president won an election whose predecessor was from the same party -- that was George H.W. Bush in 1988.  Prior to that, it was Harry Truman in 1944.  That means that almost every inauguration in the last 70 years has been by a President in his second term, a President taking over after tragic circumstances (Johnson after the assassination, and Ford after Nixon's impeachment), or a President taking the reigns from the 'other' party.  And it will happen, again, peacefully.  I cannot say that the transition of power in my life from my control to God's control has been peaceful. It's a daily knockdown, drag out fight.  Sometimes, it's nearly a war.  Isn't that was following Jesus demands?  It's what Jesus asks of us -- deny yourself and follow Him.  Like a political opponent who has won an election, it isn't always what we want.  Sometimes, our desires are strikingly different than God's.  I don't want to hand God control.  I want it my way.  I want the power in my life.  I want to make decisions for myself.  Don't I know what's best for me?  So I fight.  Many of us fight. We just won't let go.  I think discipleship looks like peacefully transitioning the power in our lives over to God.  I think it looks like handing over control.  In our country, this only happens every four or eight years.  For us, this is almost a daily ritual.  Tomorrow will have more decisions that will require 'handing over' power.  Daily, we are called to inaugurate Jesus the president and ruler of our lives.

In His Grace,

Carter 

No comments: