First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, September 25, 2017

On Boycotts, the NFL, kneeling & standing and what matters to me

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you stand for the National Anthem.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you kneel for the National Anthem.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you raise your fist in protest.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you raise your nose in disgust of protest.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you post pictures of veterans with a quote about how we should stand honor those who serve.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you post pictures of veterans with a quote about how they died for the right for people to kneel if they want.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you boycott the NFL because too many players are protesting and being political.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you boycott the NFL because no team will sign Colin Kaepernick.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you boycott the NFL because there’s a lot of bad offense being played (okay, that might be a legitimate beef).

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you voted for Trump.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you voted for Hillary.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you didn’t vote out of protest.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you didn’t vote out of apathy.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you want more athletes to speak out more.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you’re tired of athletes speaking out about politics.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you comment on social media that 
the President’s comments about NFL players disappoint you.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you comment on social media that the President’s comments about NFL players encourage you.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you’re a big Tim Tebow fan.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you’re a big Colin Kaepernick fan.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you’re a fan of neither Tebow nor Kaep.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you support all First Amendment free speech. 

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you think First Amendment free speech should have limits.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if your heroes wear shoulder pads.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if your heroes wear fatigues.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if think you know how you’d think if you were African-American.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you think you know how you’d think if you were white.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you’re neither but think you know how you’d think if you were African-America or white.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you argue your point well.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you use Martin Luther King, Jr. to prove your point.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you type in all caps.

Nope.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. –John 13:35

I do not want people to vote like me.  I do not want people to think like me.  I don’t want people to like my politics or opinions (and trust me, I have them).  Because this is not about me.  I want them to know that I am His disciple.  Because I want them to know the Jesus who I am a disciple of.

The Jesus who doesn’t kneel because before Him every knee will bow.

The Jesus who doesn’t stand for any flag because before him all nations will come and worship.

The Jesus who’s Kingdom is not of this world (or country or region).

The Jesus who doesn’t have any president because He is the King of Kings.

The Jesus in whose image I was made.

The Jesus in whose image you were made.

The Jesus who bought our redemption with the price of His blood.  

The Jesus who forgave me.

I want people to know that Jesus.  To really, really know Him.

And I am convinced that will not happen through my politics, boycotts, protests, kneeling, standing or clever social media posts, but only through my love – because that’s how my Jesus said they would know.  What if those of us who called ourselves disciples were most concerned about loving others first?  And if we’re not, are we really disciples?  If you’re not a Jesus Follower, is one of the reasons you’re not because those of us that are seem more worried about issues rather than loving others?

So let’s grab a cup of coffee.  Or let’s chat.  I’d love to listen to your story.  Because I love you.  Because He loved me.  Whether you stand, kneel or couldn’t care less. NFL fan or not.  I’m so much more concerned about before Whom we will one day stand and inevitably kneel.  

No comments: