First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Free Lunch

So, I got a free lunch today...from someone I don't know. The server gave me a card that said I'd been "kinded." I thought that was pretty cool. I thought it was pretty awesome, and it made my burger taste that much better, because I live by the motto, "If it's free, it's for me." However, though I appreciate the kindness and I understand the anonimity, it leaves something to be desired. I understand the concept. I get the whole "pay it forward" thing. But "pay it forward" runs out. I'll never get a chance to thank this person, and I know that's the way they want it. I'd be the same way. I understand that me passing this kindness on is my way of thanking them. But I believe that kindness, real kindness, has to be backed up by something eternal. I cannot point my thanks to anyone, but what if I could point my thanks to God. The kindness shown me reminded me that people can be good, but I'm pretty sure I'll be reminded of the opposite in the next 24 hours. But if the reminder was that God is good and I had just forgot. Christians need to be kind so badly to the world. But deep down, we don't all need human kindness, we all yearn for something from our Creator. If you are a follower of Jesus, be kind, but make sure that people know that that kindness only comes from God. If you're not a follower of Jesus, rest assured that you have a kind Creator who wants to get to know you. And he wants to offer you so much more than a free lunch. On that note, thanks to whomever pitched in my burger today. You made my day!

No comments: