First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Do as I do

This past Sunday I talked about some parenting issues. The truth is, every parent needs to keep seeking to improve. I know I do. I think one of the biggest issues for parents the issue of authenticity. Sometimes you hear parents say, "Do as I say, not as I do." You know, parents want their kids to be better than them. They don't want their kids to make the same mistakes they made. And they want their kids to live out their values, not necessarily their lifestyle. But kids are just smarter than that. I recently read a quote in SUCCESS magazine by Peter Buffett, the son of investor Warren Buffett, one of the world's most wealthy men:



"I've lived an extraordinary life, not because of my father's money but
because of the exemplary life he's live as an example to me."

That's a powerful statement. Our example means everything. It doesn't matter if you have a 4 year-old or a 14 year-old, kids can see right through a hypocrite. Kids know when our lifestyles don't line up with our language. In the end, it won't matter what we say. However, it will matter immensely what we do. The Bible says it this way: "Do not merely listen to the word...Do what it says" (James 1:22). Kids need more than lip service. Kids need more than just direction on how to live. Kids need to SEE how to live. They need to see us struggle with the issues they struggle with. They need to see us overcome our fears and deal with disappointment. And, most importantly, kids need to see integrity -- that our actions match up with our words.

Years from now our words will have been forgotten a hundred times over, but our actions will anchor themselves in the minds of our kids. May those of us that are parents make sure that our actions are the kind of actions we want to be remembered.

No comments: