First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The End of the World as We Know It

Surely you've heard of Harold Camping. If not, he's the person that started all this May 21st end of the world stuff. He predicted for years that this past Saturday, May 21, 2011 at 6 p.m. the rapture would take place and millions of Christians would be taken.

I was having dinner with my family at a park at 6 p.m. on Saturday. Now, I'll have to admit that there was a part of me that thought, "What in the world am I going to do if the sky opens up. Good Lord, I'd probably have a heart attack." Everything seemed pretty quiet to me, though. Of course, Camping said he was 'flabbergasted' that Jesus didn't return when he thought he would. He couldn't believe it. He was beside himself, upset and disappointed. He was confused.

I just thought..."Really?" You mean, you were disappointed that you don't know the one thing that only God knows? In an article in the AJC, one person who lives in the same town as Camping said this:




''It's given people who hate Christianity an excuse to hate it even more,"
she said. "People can just paint with broad brush strokes."

That really says it, doesn't it. I don't know Harold Camping. I'm sure he's a fine man. I'll bet he means well. And I find no amusement or joy when fellow Christians beat up on each other. But, if I could sit down with him over a glass of sweet tea and some fried chicken I'd say, "Harold, you're not helping the team. You're hurting us." This is the reason so many unbelieving people don't believe, because we Christians often seem crazy and unattached from normal life and culture. It's assanine to think that you know when Jesus is coming back. I have no idea and I've read it over a million times in the Bible. No one knows. What I do know is that my job until I die or until He does return is to love God with all that I am and love my neighbor as myself. My mission is to treat people the way I want to be treated, to put others first and serve the community. My heart is to live with integrity, clarity, and His purposes. I think that's what changes lives. I don't think scaring people or trying to predict the end of the world works. I think it's a huge turn-off, and it only gives those outside the church more fuel for the fire.

So, if you're journey has you in a place where you're not sure about Jesus yet, I want you to know that we're not all like Harold Camping. He was wrong. Heck, sometimes I'm wrong. We're not perfect. Christians are broken and sometimes confused. We struggle to have it all figured out, too. But most of us aren't predicting the end of the world. Most of us are normal folks trying to be who God wants us to be.

By the way, if you want to read the whole article it's here: http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/harold-camping-flabbergasted-rapture-954932.html.

And, of course, he's not said that he was off by a few months. It's really coming in October. Man, some people have a hard time admitting they're wrong.















2 comments:

The Lockharts said...

I have been thinking a lot about him lately as well. What really breaks my heart is for the people who believed him and have not only given up so much, but now have nothing to hold on to (other than the October "prophesy"). I wish there were a way we as a Church (big "C") could reach out to them and love on them.

Carter McInnis said...

I think the main thing is to just love folks and don't judge them. We all make mistakes.

But, it's also important for those in the Church to stand up and say, "Hey, that's not what the Bible says" and help folks find the truth.