First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Mega

Last week, I didn't something that no red-blooded American male should ever do -- watch something on the Oprah Network. It turned out to be a good thing. It was an hour-long interview and inside look at Joel Osteen, Lead Pastor at what is believed to be the largest church in America, Lakewood Church, in Houston. Now, I go to conferences all the time to hear some big-time preachers speak. I find that the guys leading big churches generally know what they're talking about. I've had some of my greatest spiritual epiphanies listening to some megachurch pastors. However, I've never been a big Osteen fan. I have to say, the inside look changed my mindset.

He came across as very genuine. Not only that. He came across as very spirit-filled. I'm sure we'd disagree on a few theological matters, but not the core stuff. The bottom line is that this guy is touching thousands of people with the Gospel. God is using him and blesses him. His church doesn't pay him a dime. He makes all his income off book sales (similar to Rick Warren). And God is drawing many, many people to his church. He's being blessed and is a blessing. What's the problem?

I've never understood the hang-ups Christians have with megachurch pastors. It's almost as if you're doing something wrong if your church is big. Osteen made the comment that went something like, "What were we supposed to do, not get big or turn people away?" Thinking that a church getting big is crazy, and probably rooted mostly in jealousy. The Church has so much to learn from many of these churches. Could it be that God is drawing people to places like that for a reason? Of course, the size of a church doesn't always equate as a measure of it's faithfulness. But we need to cheer these guys on. We're all on the same team.

No comments: