First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Out of Control

I wrote a song back when I was in college called "Out of Control."  It was a little weird, as most things written by college students are, but I got to thinking about that song yesterday.  I'm sure my life is not that much different than yours.  The things I care most deeply about I have little control over.  It's a bit of a depressing thought.  I just started outlining the things in my head that I care about and have absolutely no control over:

  • I have no control over whether my wife stays with me for the rest of my life.  That's her choice.
  • I have no control over whether my children make wise decisions and good life choices as the grow up.  That's up to them.
  • I have no control over people actually getting up on Sunday morning and attending the church I pastor.  That's up to a million different factors.
  • I have no control over whether I am appointed to pastor the church I lead from year to year.  I'm a United Methodist pastor, so that's the Bishop's decision.
  • I have no control over the economy.  The price of gas doesn't care that I drive a gas-guzzling truck.
  • I have no control over whether my favorite teams win games.  Doesn't matter how loud I cheer or what I wear.
  • I have no control over my health.  It is fleeting and is no respecter of persons.
I'll bet your life is much the same.  You can't control so much of what you care about.  And that's what is maddening about life, isn't it.  But, that's what is beautiful about it.  As I thought about those things, I begin to think about all the things I CAN control as it pertains to them because I think that's really my purpose.

  • I can be the best husband I know how to be and love my wife like Christ loves the Church. 
  • I can be the best father I know how to be, invest in my children, teach them the Scriptures and lead them in the path that leads to righteousness.
  • I can prepare the best sermons I can, be a pastor devoted to prayer, and create worship environments that people want to get up and come to.
  • I can lead with integrity no matter what ministry setting I'm in.
  • I could get a smaller truck.  Nah.  But...I can be responsible with the resources God has given me so that God directs my finances and not the economy.
  • I can be a great fan and choose to be a Positive Paul and not a Negative Nancy and enjoy games for what they are...games (sorry to all the Nancies out there.  I know several people named Nancy that are great positive people.)
  • I can take care of myself by eating right, sleeping enough and exercising.
When you begin to look at it that way you realize that you do, indeed, control a lot.  Life is so much more about our response to all the stuff that we can't control.  You will get your heart broke by the things you can't control from time to time, but I believe we experience our greatest joys when we focus on being the best we can be and trusting the rest to God.  So what do you control?  Whatever you do control, give it your best and trust God with the rest.

No comments: