First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Red Paint

I have a love/hate relationship with red paint.  I love red.  I mean, I really love red.  I've just about always had a red room in my house.  I get it honest:

  • My parents high school (Cedartown) red, black and silver.
  • I grew up a UGA fan
  • The schools I attended from K-12 (Palmetto Primary, Middle and High Schools) were and silver
  • The high school all my students attended at the first churches I pastored in Madison and Rutledge, GA (Morgan County) was red and black.
  • The high school where our church meets and the cluster my children are a part of (Archer) is red and silver.
Red's just kind of in my blood.  I guess it's in all our blood, technically, but I digress.  Have you ever painted something red?  I'm painting my kitchen red now.  It's awful.  Red paint plays a trick on you because it is so vibrant.  It's such a rich color and shouts at you under the fluorescent lights in the Home Depot section.  So vibrant.  So lively.  So pretty.  It's awful to paint something red.  The paint has so much pigment in it that it takes 4-5 coats.  That's just the way red paint is.  It's so vibrant when finished, but it takes a lot of painstaking time to get all that used to be covered up.

God has a vibrant and bright future planned for you.  It is full and rich and lively.  But you need to know it's going to take several coats to get there.  Sometimes we get frustrated because what used to be there still shows through a little.  The past, the mistakes, that dull color that you used to be.  We want to think one coat will do.  One trip to church.  One quiet time.  One confession.  One Bible Study.  One memory verse.  It usually won't.  The Master Painter is creating you into a vibrant and lively masterpiece, but it's going to take several coats.  Maybe months.  Maybe years.  Maybe decades.  Give God time.  Don't give up because you still look a little streaky.  He's working on you.  Keep going back to the Master Painter so He can put on another coat of grace.  It won't be long and you won't even see what used to be under there. 

No comments: