First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (1.16.14)

I hope you've had a good week.  I'm finishing up class on Friday morning and heading back to Georgia in the afternoon.  I'm learning some great stuff, and I can't wait to get back to Gwinnett and see what God has in store for Church of the Way in 2014.  I'm ready to be home!  I'm excited to see my family and to worship with my church community again on Sunday.  I'll be continuing with our series called "Rich People" as we talk about the issue of 'debt.'  If you've got friends who need to take a first step in making some changes in their finances, I hope you'll invite them this week.

Also, don't forget we've got LIFE Group and Serve Team Sign-Ups on Sunday.  Get connected and grow in your faith through serving and relationships.

Thought for the Week
"He [Moses] was not aware that his face was radiant because he had spoken with the Lord."  Exodus 34:29

Isn't that a great passage?  Moses went up on the mountain to be with God and spoke with God, and he came down and his face was glowing.  Have you ever known anyone like that?  I have.  Mrs. Runae was a member of the first church I pastored.  Runae was her first name.  Emily often stayed with her when she came to visit me before we were married.  I never heard Runae say a bad word about anyone.  She studied the Bible often and was at every church event we had, even the youth group because she wanted to feed the young people.  Runae was also a woman of deep prayer.  She prayed for the lost in our community.  And she glowed.  You felt so good after you'd been with Runae.  You'd probably get some vegetables, too.  Like Moses, most people that glow with God's love don't really know it.  They're unaware.  Make no mistake, the source of Moses and Runae's radiance came from the same place:  speaking with the Lord.  If we are going to glow in our communities, offices, and schools, we need to be people who talk to God.  When we pray and when we study God's Word...something happens.  If we are going to change the world and make a difference in the lives of others, it won't be because we are always right or 'convince' people to come to church or follow Christ.  It will be because we glow.

Can't wait to be with you on Sunday!

Carter 

No comments: