First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (1.30.14)

I hope you've stayed warm and safe this week!  What a crazy week in the ATL.  Glad the weather is warming up and excited about our upcoming series starting this Sunday.  We'll be talking about God's plan for marriage and what it means to 'live out' our wedding vows with "The Vows."  This is a great time to invite friends and neighbors.  I think it's going to be a fun series, and I believe God will change the direction of lives, marriages and families this month.

Also, don't forget to bring "Hot Hands" this week to share with our Random Kindness on Feb. 8.

Thought for the Week
"What they trust in is fragile; what they rely on is a spider's web."  Job 8:14

This week I couldn't help but think about how fragile we are.  Our lives, they're so fragile.  Have you ever seen a snow flake?  It's nothing.  Millions upon millions of them together wreak havoc.  You've got ice in your freezer, but when it is somewhere we don't want it to be, we're in trouble.  A drop of water is nothing, but we've all stood on the shore at the beach and marveled at the ocean's power.  We are fragile, and we we rely upon is so fleeting.  This is the testimony of God's presence most important to me.  I need something thicker on which to hang.  I need something more substantial to set my life on.  This week was a reminder that the things we take for granted are so weak.  The power of our mighty cars are really nothing.  But there is another power.  On a week like this, I'm more mindful than ever that I want my life to be aligned with the one who is the Creator of the heavens and the earth.  On Him alone will I lay the foundation of my life.  What we think is strong, secure and sure is nothing in the face of Almighty God.  What we think is so important now is so fleeting and fragile.  Careers can be derailed by one employee tearing down the company.  Athletic endeavors can be derailed by one injury.  Our finances can go under with one disease or surgery.  The things that we spend most of our time worrying about and working on are not what make up reality in eternity.  There is a more firm foundation.  That doesn't mean that we can live in this world where things like careers and money and other endeavors preoccupy our minds.  It means we hold them loosely and hold tightly that which matters most.

In Christ,

Carter 

No comments: