First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (9.11.14)

I hope your week is going great.  Today is one of those days on the calendar that most of us will always remember (more on that below.).  It's also our church birthday.  We launched our first Worship Experience on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at Simonton Elementary School.  It has been quite a ride.  A lot of people asked me why we chose that Sunday.  I said that we'd be sure to remember the date, and more importantly, we wanted to bring a positive memory to a date etched in our brains.

This Sunday we'll be continuing the "CRAZY" series on the life of King David.  We'll be talking about the story of David and Goliath this week.  Hope to see you there!

Thought for the Week (Day)
"Even when I go through the darkest valley, I fear no danger, for you are with me."  Psalm 23:4

I can't tell you how many funerals during which I've read Psalm 23.  It is one of those passages that brings hope and comfort.  It is hard to imagine now that week after Tuesday, September 11, 2001.  It was surreal.  No work.  No Friday night football games.  No flights.  No Saturday College football.  No School.  No stock market.  No Sunday NFL.  Everything just stopped.  We just sat with our families and watched the 24/7 coverage.  And wept.  The world shut down.  Sunday church was the first time many of us ventured out of the house.  I sat in my parsonage late at night one evening that week with my newlywed wife asleep and wondered if this was just the beginning -- were they coming for all of us.  What would I do to protect her and me.  I didn't have any good answers.  None of has any answers that week.  We knew that we wanted to be with the people we loved, we wanted to pray, and we wanted to go to church.  Perhaps we wanted to hear those words:  even in the darkest valley (the valley of the shadow of death as the King James Version calls it), God is with us.  September 11 reminds us that there is ugliness in the world.  We also recall heroic efforts as many fought to save innocent lives in New York, DC, and over a field in Pennsylvania.  We still have questions.  There will be more dark valleys, for our world, country and family.  We will experience ugliness.  There's no promise that we won't.  It's nowhere in the Bible.  But we can rest assured that God is with us.  God walks with us.  Thirteen years ago God walked with us as a nation in the U.S.  And He will walk with you through whatever you're going through.

Because of Him,

Carter 

No comments: