First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (9.25.14)

I hope you're having a great week, and I hope you've considered what we talked about on Sunday and you're taking the high road to get to the right place God has for you.  I'm excited about this Sunday as we'll be talking about another "CRAZY" story about David when he 'danced madly' before the Lord.  We'll learn what it means to truly be devoted to God.

Also, don't forget if you've got some time this Sunday at 1 p.m. we'll be cleaning out our old storage trailer at 1505 New Hope Rd.  You might even get a treasure as we look through old supplies.

Thought for the Week"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35

As I sit here and type this, I'm tuning in and out to a little Thursday Night College Football on ESPN.  I usually love watching the Thursday night game.  Oklahoma State is playing Texas Tech, but I don't recognize them.  Most folks know I'm a pretty avid college football fan, and I'm kind of a uniform junkie.  More and more, college teams are wearing multiple uniforms and helmets.  You have to look closely to figure out who's playing.  I'm kind of a traditionalists when it comes to uniforms, so I'm not crazy about it.  I like flipping it on an knowing who's playing immediately.  I wonder if non-Christians feel that way about Christians sometimes, like we're always changing uniforms.  I wonder if they can recognize us.  I turned it on tonight and the Cowboys and Red Raiders were both in brand new uniforms...again.  They weren't wearing their iconic helmets.  It was confusing.  For the Christian, the iconic look is love.  This is what we're to be known for.  When we wear something other than love, we confuse people.  We don't look like ourselves.  We are a cheap imitation of what Jesus intended.  Disciples love each other.  They love others.  Love.  When we come out in resentment, jealousy, or hate, we don't look like disciples.  We look like a different team.  Hey, if you like all the funky new football uniforms -- different strokes for different folks.  However, let's make sure that we wear our iconic Christian uniforms.  Let's make sure we are recognized by love.  Maybe you're still on the journey.  I hope you know that love is what we Christians are supposed to be known for.  Know that we sometimes get it wrong.  We're trying to wear the right uniform.  A uniform of love.

In His Love,

Carter 

No comments: