First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (11.13.14)

I hope you are settling into Fall and having a great week.  It's hard to believe Thanksgiving is just around the corner.  I'm excited about sharing about "Living Generously" again this Sunday as we continue to learn from God how to live life with open hands.  In this season of counting our blessings, the natural response is generosity.  Truly, gratefulness breeds generosity.  Can't wait to see you Sunday!

Also, our Christmas series called "That Awkward Moment" will begin Sunday, Nov. 30.  I can't wait to dive into some Christmas stories from a brand new angle this Holiday Season.  Mark your Calendars!

Thought for the Week
"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts."  Isaiah 55:9

I don't know what I don't know.  I keep thinking that.  The farther along I get in my walk with Christ, the more I feel like I know.  There was a time I was certain about a lot of things, and my certainty has waned.  There was a time I could always come up with an answer; now I've figured out that there is a lot that is unanswerable.  I don't know a lot.  There's even more that I don't know that I don't know.  Did you follow that?  We get obsessed with certainty.  We want to carefully plan our lives.  And we want to understand everything that happens.  We want to just have God all figured out.  I thinking I've figured out that I don't have God figured out.  What I do have figured out what He has revealed to us in Jesus and His Word, the Bible.  I've figured out that God loves us so much he sent His Son to die for us. I've figured out that He wants His spirit to live in me and guide me.  I've figured out that 'spirit living in me' deal is kind of muddy and messy.  I screw up a lot.  And there are times I don't even know I'm messing it all up.  I don't know why some of my prayers are answered and others aren't.  I don't know why good things happen to people that are seemingly bad and seemingly bad things happen to good people.  I don't know why one person seems to catch all the breaks and another doesn't catch any.  I don't usually know why God puts me in the situations He puts me in.  I just don't know a lot...because his ways are higher than our ways, and his thoughts are higher than our thoughts.  And I don't always get it.  What I'm learning is that it's not what I know.  It's who I know and by whom I am know.  I am my beloved's and He is mine.  That's enough to know to walk through all I don't.

In Christ,

Carter 

No comments: