First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (11.26.14)

Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope your week is winding down and you're close to gathering with family and friends.  We're looking forward to doing the same.  This Sunday, we'll be beginning a new series called "That Awkward Moment" as we take a unique look into the lives of the characters of the Christmas Story.  Christmas is a great time to invite friends.  You can send someone an e-Card here.  

On Sunday, we made a huge and historic announcement.  Church of the Way has merged with Harmony Grove United Methodist Church in Auburn to form two strong campuses, giving us our first permanent home in Auburn and taking another step toward a permanent home in Gwinnett.  Beginning March 1, our morning worship will move to our new permanent home at the Harmony Grove Church of the Way (1385 Harmony Grove Church Rd., Auburn, GA 30011) with 9:45 a.m. Modern Worship & 11:00 a.m. Traditions Worship.  Our Gwinnett Church of the Way will meet on Sundays at 5:30 p.m. at the SE Gwinnett Co-Op.  This move is another step in the journey to be the church God has called us to be.  Archer High School has been so gracious to host us for nearly five years, and we're excited to still reach out to the Archer Community through One Way on Wednesday nights and connecting in the community, but we're elated to have a permanent place to be a mission outpost for ministry.  We're excited about new friends at Harmony Grove and partnering to increase our borders to reach more people.  God has given us a great gift, and the best days are ahead!  This will also free us up to truly find the best permanent location for a Gwinnett Campus.  I hope you'll be in prayer about the days ahead.  We've got an exciting season before us!

Thought for the Week
"Abundant peace belongs to those who love your instruction; nothing makes this stumble."  Psalm 119:165

On the eve of Thanksgiving, it's my tradition to make a list of things for which I'm thankful.  With the events in Ferguson, MO, it seems more striking this years.  I don't understand why we hurt each other.  I don't understand injustice.  I don't understand fear of one another.  I don't understand why we have such a hard time understanding people different from us...or why we don't want to.  There is a lot of ugliness happening in the midst of this mess, but I want to cling to God of peace.  All I can do is my part.  All I can do is love His instruction and embrace the peace that comes with it.  I'm thankful for that this season.  

I am thankful for...
  • The blood of Jesus that covers over all my sins.
  • The new life I have in Christ...daily.
  • A wife who loves me more than I deserve.
  • Four healthy children who love the Church and Christ's mission.
  • The diversity in our community and church.
  • Leading a risk-taking and missional church.
  • Pastoring a church that is truly open to ALL people.
  • Mentors.
  • Friends.
  • The people who have allowed me to mentor them.
  • Music.  I love music.
  • More food in my fridge and pantry than I can eat.
  • A house that suits our family.
  • Cars that run.
  • Getting to do many of the hobbies I enjoy.
  • My health.
  • Good books.
  • The new friends I've already made at Harmony Grove.
  • The United Methodist Church allowing me to serve in ministry.
  • Fried Turkey, dressing and my mama's pumpkin pie.
  • My wife's mac'n'cheese.
  • Football.  
We all have much to be thankful for.  May our nation find peace in the turmoil and in our hearts this Thanksgiving.

With Thanks,

Carter

No comments: