First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

We Don't Know What to Do

We don't know what to do.  We are becoming numb to terror.  At least 34 dead in Brussels.  At least 16 dead on the Ivory Coast.  And we don't know how to to respond.  But this is the same with all of life.  In the United States, we are in the middle of the most brutal political season ever, namely because of social media.  More people are more aware of what is going on because of media coverage and more people than ever are sharing their opinions because of social media.  And we don't know how to respond.

When I say 'we,' I mean all of humanity, but I can't ever say 'we' without meaning the Body of Christ.  We Christians aren't sure how to respond.  We are broken-hearted over lost life and lost innocence in places where terror strikes.  We are angry and vengeful to see the terrorist pay.  We are remorseful that our world has come to this.  We are outraged at political commentary and our friends' contrasting opinions on the candidates for our country's presidency.  And we ask ourselves, "Are they really my friend if they see this issue differently?"

And outrage seems to be what the Church does best these days.  We Christians are really good at outrage.  That's kind of our 'go-to' response, but deep down we know it doesn't feel right.  We just don't know what to do, so we're outraged.  We're outraged at a religious group killing innocent people.  Outraged at this or that government's response.  Outraged at that politician comments.  Outraged at this politicians lack of comments.  Outraged at this governmental policy.  Outraged at school board decisions.  Outraged at teacher's teaching methods.  Outraged at our kids lack of playing time.  Outraged our pastor said something political.  Outraged our pastor won't say anything political.  We're just really good at outrage.  I think non-believers have gotten the message:  Christians are outraged.

I'm outraged, too.  I'm outraged that people are killing other people in places like Brussels and the Ivory Coast.  I'm outraged at terror.  But I'm not surprised by it.  In fact, I'm outraged at myself and my lack of courage, compassion, and selflessness.  I'm outraged at my own sin and selfishness and hardness of heart.  This world is broken.  Sin reigns because we've let it.  All of us.  It's a world that needs Jesus.  And I'm convinced my outrage won't help.

I'm convicted by Philippians 1:27, when the Apostle Paul wrote, "Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ."  Whatever happens.  We control how we conduct ourselves.  What if 100 people in one church took that seriously in their neighborhood?  What if 1,000 from a few different churches took that seriously in their community?  What if 100,000 took it seriously in a region?  What if millions of Christians took that seriously in the U.S?  What if the 2-3 billion Christians took that seriously worldwide?  What if we conduct ourselves at work, at the ball field, at home, on social media, in the grocery store line in a manner that is worthy of the gospel of Christ?

We do know what to do -- we just won't do it.  Outrage is so much easier than obedience.

No comments: