First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, March 24, 2017

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (3.24.17)


Hey Church!

I hope you had a good week, and I hope you've been praying "Thy will be done" this week.  I'm so enjoying teaching about prayer.  This week, we'll be talking about a tough side of prayer we've all dealt with -- when the answer is "no.'
 What do we do when God says, 'no'?  What does that mean for us and our future?  I hope you'll be there to be a part of it.

Thought for the Week
"The wise store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin."  Proverbs 10:14

I've been thinking about wisdom a lot lately.  It's probably something I pray for more than anything else.  Wisdom to raise my sons.  Wisdom to counsel others.  Wisdom to preach what God wants preached.  Wisdom to lead.  Wisdom to know how to obey God.  What I love about this proverb is that it's clear to wisdom requires some quietness.  Wisdom means taking some time to store up knowledge.  How are you storing up knowledge?  What are you reading?  Who are you allowing to pour into your life?  What is fueling your pursuit of wisdom?  You can't just talk.  Fools never take time to soak in wisdom, they just talk, and it can invite ruin.  I thought about social media when I read that.  Our words on social media are our online mouths.  They can lead to our ruin.  We need time to store up knowledge.  You want to be wise?  Find people who are smarter than you and hang out with them.  Read books from various subjects and fields for different perspectives.  Listen to things that will challenge and stretch you.  You want to be a fool?  Talk a lot and never listen.  I know which one I want to be.

In Christ,

Carter McInnis
Lead Pastor

No comments: