First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

My Brother's Keeper

This past Sunday was kind of a promotion day for our Children's Minsitry. Kids that were certain ages moved up to the next age group. This was a mixed bag for my second son, Tanner. He would not be moving up. He didn't really care about that. He's happy with his class. But, his 'best friend in his class', Jake, was moving up. We encouraged him and told him that he could still be friends with Jake, he'd just have to find a new 'best friend in his class' to hang out with on Sundays. After church, I asked Tanner how it went. He said that he was still friends with Jake but he had a new best friend in his class. I asked him who it was and he answered, "Walker."

Walker is my third son. Promotion day meant that he got to go to his big brother's class. Of course, it made me proud that Tanner chose Walker as his new 'best friend in his class.' But I was a little surprised, too. Tanner and Walker, like most brothers, spend a fair amount of time fighting, screaming at each other and crying because one took a toy away from another. There are many times they are mortal enemies, not best friends. But they are brothers, and brothers they will always be. I'm glad my second born son sees that.

Family life is sometimes messy. Family members make us mad, say things that hurt us, and do things that sting. Family members sometimes get on our nerves and sometimes make us cry. But they are still family, and they always will be. And we shouldn't take them for granted. Do you appreciate your family? Are you able to recognize their friendship? Have you told them that you love them? Remember what my boy remembered: when all else fails, you family will still be there. Thank God for family.

No comments: