First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, June 16, 2011

What makes it "home"?

I'm so blessed to spend the week in The Classic City - that's Athens. Athens made such an impact on my life during my years at UGA, namely because I embraced the community. I was lucky to befriend a number of folks who were Athens natives who helped show me the community.

Because of that, Athens became another home. It still feels like a second home. I found myself grow with the diversity and culture of Athens. It changed me.

I find that so many people don't embrace their community. Athens was home for a time for me, but now Gwinnett is home. And we've embraced it. You make a community your home by how much you pour yourself into it, by investing in it, by eating at little holes in the wall, and by getting to know people.

How are making your community your home? How are you letting it change you? How are you changing your community? Athens left a dent on me. I hope I left a dent on it, and I hope I will leave a dent on Gwinnett.

No comments: