First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Not Ashamed

We had a Tailgate Sunday this past week where we worship outside, everyone brings a bunch of good food, people grill out and everyone wears their favorite team gear. I wore my Braves hat and shirt. Several people asked me if I was ashamed to wear my UGA gear and wondered why I didn't have it on.

I thought it was a funny comment. Me...ashamed? If you could see my basement, you would know that it is impossible for me to be ashamed to be a Bulldog, no matter how dismal they look on a given Saturday. And, believe me, I've seen some dismal Saturdays recently. I've been to 60 straight games and I'll be at 60 more in a row, Lord willing and the creek don't rise.

But there was another reason I donned my Braves gear instead of my Dawg gear. I never wear my UGA stuff to church. The Deep South is passionate about college football. It's one of my favorite things about living here. I love that sports talk radio shows are talking about football in March. People take it very serious. I don't know many people that love their team more than I love my Dawgs, but it is not worth it for my apparel to get in the way of the message God has given to me. I don't wear UGA stuff at church because I'm representing Christ, and Christ is non-partisan. I think Jesus even loves Gators, Tigers, Jackets, and Volunteers, though I've yet to find the exact verse :)

Some would argue that I'm not being authentic. But I think there's more to it than that. I am being authentic because perceptions matter to me. Even on a fun Sunday, I wouldn't want a fan of a rival team to tune out God because of what I've got on. You think that's outlandish? Then you haven't been to and SEC stadium recently. People care about this stuff...a lot.

It really is about a broader issue. What are we doing to represent Christ the right way? I know I get this wrong a lot, but how we behave in the world is crucial to the Kingdom. The words we say, the house we live in, and the clothes we wear represent Christ in some way. Let us make sure that others know, first and foremost, we are on His team. And let us make sure that nothing is standing in the way of the Gospel.

Of course, I caught so much razzing this year, it makes me want to wear a real doozie of a Bulldog outfit next year!

No comments: