First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Surprise, surprise!

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I tuned in and watched the movie Country Strong. I had been meaning to watch it for a while. As a side note, Tim McGraw has become a pretty good actor. I like most of the stuff he's done. Anyway, it was deeper and better than I expected, and the ending was very surprising. Movies rarely surprise me at the end. I love it when they do, but it just ended in a way that I didn't see coming.

It's fun when a movie does that; not so much in life. When life doesn't go the way you want it to go or when a situation ends up much differently than you anticipated, it isn't always fun. Life is, invariably, unpredictable. What do you do, then? This is why it's so crucial that our faith is in something, or, rather, someone, who is never changing. Whe life doesn't go the way you imagined, when the world throws you a curveball or when things don't go according to our plan, our hope is in the One who never changes, the One we can count on, the One who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

The truth is that we should expect life to surprise us. Life is full of uncertainties. We're traveling on an uneven landscape. It's just the way it is. But no matter how rocky it gets, you can count on God. He can be trusted. You can be sure of Him. That doesn't mean it will always be smooth sailing. It just means that you'll always have a Captain by your side.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!