First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, July 6, 2012

Day 39 - Malachi

I believe in magic...sort of.  I call it "Tithe Magic."  I believe in tithing.  I believe in giving 10% of my income to God's Church.  I believe it works.  I believe it honors God and God honors those who tithe in return.  I just trust God on this.  I don't understand and can't explain to you logically how you're better off with 90% of your income than you are 100% of your income.  But I just believe you are.  It's magic.  The thing I love about the concept of tithing is that God challenges us on it.

7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you,” says the Lord Almighty.



“But you ask, ‘How are we to return?’

8 “Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.

“But you ask, ‘How do we rob you?’

“In tithes and offerings. 9 You are under a curse —the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this,” says the Lord Almighty, “and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit, ” says the Lord Almighty. 12 “Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land,” says the Lord Almighty. (Malachi 3:7-12)
Don't you love that?  Test me in this.  Just try me.  If you will be faithful, if you will just trust me with your money and show that you are financially surrendered to me, just watch what I do.  I will provide for you in ways that you wouldn't have imagined.  I will open up the flood gates of heaven on you.

I have seen this in my life.  I have been tithing since I was old enough to make any money, and the stories of God's provision in my life have grown too numerous to count.  My wife and I have always tithed, even when it wasn't easy, and somehow God has provided, even when it didn't make since.  Recently, a friend of mine who has been a regular tither had a family member buy them a new car, out of the blue, when they sorely needed one.  It was just one of those things.  It was magic.

Money is a sensitive issue for many.  It ought not to be.  Tithing is clear direction from God.  And it works.  A lot of people would argue against it and come up with excuses as to why they shouldn't or couldn't tithe.  But if you don't surrender to God financially, you'll never see the blessings God wants to give you.  Simply, if we won't honor God with little, why in the world would God want to give us much.  Test Him in this...and watch the magic!

No comments: