First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Friday, July 13, 2012

Day 46 - 1 Corithians

Are you willing to do anything to reach those that don't know Christ?  If I could say that there was one verse that is the key verse for our church, Church of the Way, it's 1 Corinthians 9:22.  Here it is along with the passage that lead up to it:

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.



I love the Apostle Paul's heart here.  This is what Christianity has lost.  We have given up risking to reach.  We make decisions too often on keeping the people that are there happy while ignoring the needs of those outside the fold.  Paul says that he's willing to do anything and everything to   reach people 'for the sake of the gospel.'

The other thing that I love about this passage, though, is that it's so wise.  Often churches get enamored with their own way or 'reaching out' and think that it's a 'one size fits all' for reaching the lost.  Paul says that it's different to reach the Jews, those under the law, those not under the laws, and the weak.  Everyone's different.  It takes something different to reach the highly educated or blue collar or sports crazy or artsy or southern or you name it.  It takes all kinds to reach all kinds.  That's why this passage also speaks to the Church about teamwork.  Our church can't reach all the people in our community.  We can reach many, but there will be those looking for different music, children's ministry, structure or message.  Our community needs strong churches of all kinds to reach all kinds of people.  We're all on the same team.  Are you willing to play your role on the team and do whatever it takes to reach those in your circle of influence?  Paul says it's the only way to be.


No comments: