First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, July 23, 2012

Day 55 - 2 Timothy

We did not arrive on our own. Many of us have stories of mommas or grandmothers praying for us for decades. Many of us have stories of ministers who served as inspiration and guidance. Timothy was no exception, and I love this passage written by Paul to his young apprentice:

"I thank God, whom I serve, as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self‑discipline." (2 Timothy 1:3-7 NIV84)

None of us arrive alone. If you are a follower of Jesus, someone else helped lay a foundation of faith in you. It's easy to forget those people as time passes, but this Scripture serves as a reminder to take a moment to thank God for them.

Paul was a powerful force for the Gospel, and Timothy would soon take over much of his ministry. However, Paul recognized there were people behind the scenes that had helped shape Timothy's faith long before he showed up. Take a moment to thank God for your mentors in the faith...and thank them, too.

No comments: