First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

I don't fit in

In the last year, I've become a pretty avid coffee drinker.  It makes me happy :)  However, I'm not really a Starbucks guy.  I like the coffee there just fine.  It's not that.  It's that I don't fit in.  I've scheduled a couple of meetings at Starbucks the last couple weeks because it seemed like the easiest location, and it was a good excuse to get an afternoon cup of coffee, which is not my norm.  When I walk in, I feel like I'm just not cool enough to be there.  I don't fit in.  I'm not trendy enough.  I'm not exactly sure how to order and what to order.  I don't go enough to remember which of their strange names for sizes are actually small, medium and large, so I have to look at the board, which is in a type-face meant for people with better vision than me.  I always feel like they're ready for the uncool, not-dressed-trendy dad to leave.

What a powerful example this is to the church and so crucial for Easter weekend.  Millions of people who haven't been in a long time and maybe ever will pour into churches this Sunday.  They come for the same reason I went to Starbucks:  the location is convenient and something is there that they think they want.  However, will their experience be like mine?  Will they hear language that doesn't make any sense or that they can't remember.  Will they feel like they are dressed appropriately?  Will they feel like they're being judged and pushed out the door as soon as possible?  Will they get what they came for, but leave with an empty cup?

This is not an indictment on traditional church.  In fact, one of my fears for the modern church is that we embrace trendiness so much that people who aren't 25, fit, and dressed out of a Banana Republic window don't fit in.  I think people just need space to be themselves.  I think people need to be coached in the things that hold meaning for us instead of us assuming they get it.  I think people simply need to feel the trends of grace and love instead of insider language, clothes, and atmosphere.  It's not that complicated to make people feel welcome.  Let's hope the Body of Christ uses the leverage of Easter to do it.

No comments: