First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

I missed it

Well, it happened last night.  My oldest son hit is first home run.  He's got rec specs this year, so he can actually see the ball.  That helps.  Hit it straight to center field and rounded the bases as fast as he can.  In the same game, my second-born hit a triple.  Great night at the plate for the Mac boys.  And I missed it.  I wasn't there.

No, I wasn't at a church meeting, denominational meeting, or emergency pastoral call.  I was helping coach my 4-year old's T-ball team at another park at the same time.  It is part of the challenge of having four boys during baseball season.  At least this year we only have two teams to follow.  Next year we will probably have four.

My children totally understand because they know no other world than being in a big family.  Somebody had to take the Walkman (that's what we call our 4-year old, Walker, sometimes) to his game, and my responsibilities as one of coaches for his team makes that decision a no-brainer.  It will be the first of a couple of simultaneous games I miss this year for my older boys.  But they need to learn this lesson.  I was raised in a family where my folks were at virtually everything I participated in:  chorus, church, sports and anything else.  I believe in doing the same thing.  However, my boys have to learn the lesson, now or eventually, that Momma and Daddy will NOT always be there.  I am not omnipresent.  In fact, I'm not omni-anything.  I'm just a dad.  My hope and prayer for my boys is that they develop a deep relationship with the Father who IS omnipresent, who can be with all His children at once.  A Father that will always be there, even when they feel all alone and like the whole world is against them.  A Father who will never leave them or miss a game.  My goal as a parent is not to make every game.  I want to, but it's not what's most important.  My goal as a parent is to make sure they know they are loved by a Father that is always there, even when Momma and Daddy pull out of a parking lot at some dorm at some college a long time from now.

No comments: