First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sunday Preview & Thought for the Week (9.12.13)

I hope you've had a fabulous week.  I'm loving the series we're in right now called "Finding My Purpose."  So many of you have told me that you're reading Esther.  It's a book with such rich lessons for each of us.  Keep it up!

This Sunday, we'll continue the series by talking about what we do when there are obstacles to us living out our purpose.  What do we do when there are those that want to thwart us from finding our destiny in Christ and fulfilling our purpose?  It's a serious question that we all need to know about.  Can't wait to see you there.

Thought for the Week"Be holy, because I am holy." 1 Peter 1:16

This morning I had a meeting at my boys school and one of the counselors there said, "Tanner is you."  She went on to talk about how my seven year-old's expressions and mannerisms mirror mine.  This is unfortunate for him, but I digress.  Many of us mimic our parents without knowing it.  Many of our children mimic us.  It made me wonder, though, "I wonder if we remind others of our Heavenly Father?"  My wife recently bought a sign she's placed in our kitchen that says:  Live in such a way so that those that don't know God will come to know God because they know you."  Wow, powerful words.  I fall short in this often.  All of us do.  What if we did mimic our Father.  What if people looked at us and saw compassion, forgiveness, patience, acceptance, selflessness, love and holiness.  When we are truly our Father's child, we can't hide it.  God's DNA is in you.  You were made in His image.  Let us be people that live into that God-given image, so that when people see us, they see Him.  Let us be holy, like our Father.  Let others see us and say, "I see so much Christ in you, your mannerisms are the same as His."  This is what the world needs more of.

Be blessed and be a blessing!

Carter 

No comments: