First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, July 11, 2016

Wisdom From Above

16 For where envy and selfish ambition exist, there is disorder and every kind of evil. 17 But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peace-loving, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without favoritism and hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who cultivate peace.

                                -James 3:16-18

This little passage in James was what I felt led to share with our church yesterday.  In Godly wisdom, there is no favoritism, which pretty much covers up all the '-isms.'  No racism, ageism, class-ism, sexism, denominational-ism, or any other -ism you or I could scheme up.  There's just not.  It. Is. Not. A. Part. Of. God's. Wisdom.

Instead, the kind of wise life that God promotes among His people is one that sows fruit of righteousness that cultivates peace.  Is everything you are doing sowing righteousness and cultivating peace?  Every article you share online?  Every comment you make?  Every thought you think?  Every conversation you have?  Every action?  

Probably more than anything else that I pray for myself, I ask God for wisdom.  I want to be wise.  This is a part of what God's wisdom, from above, looks like.  Without this kind of wisdom that serves others, loves peace, offers mercy and is gentle, we get a world that is self-absorbed and envious of one another.  And we get disorder and every kind of evil.  I don't want that.  I want to be wise.  Let's you and I together seek to be wise this week in how we act, speak, and love.

No comments: