First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Wednesday Word


"Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me." Psalm 54:4

I don't know about you, but it seems like it's always something. My Great Aunt used to say to me that I'd always be busy, no matter if I had anything to be busy about or not. I think that's just my nature. On the go all the time. When I go on vacation, I don't want to do anything but just sit because I "do" enough when I'm in the real world. You ever feel that way? You put on top of that the fact that it feels like I live in one of the busiest counties in the history of earth, and life can get, well, manic. Life oftten leaves me exhausted, never feeling like I gave enough to God, to my work, to my wife, to my children, to myself. But, for those who follow Jesus, we are not sustained by food or sleeep or rest. We are sustained by God. I find that more and more I need to turn to God for this sustaining. I find more and more that life is too much for me. The responsibilites of family are too great. The pressures of work are too strong. But God will have none of it. That doesn't mean when I turn to God that everything is just okey-dokey. It does mean that there is a change in my heart to understand that my problems and my busyness are not my own. My life is God's, and He is the fuel I need to make it burn. Are you looking for other ways to light your fire? It won't last, friend. Turn to the only thing that can sustain you.

No comments: