First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, June 17, 2013

Fatherhood

Yesterday was Father's Day.  It was my ninth year as a father.  I get to practice at it a lot.  I have four boys, so fatherhood is very important to me.  It's my job to pass on to my sons what it means to be a man.  Here's some things I've learned about fatherhood in the midst of trying raise four wild boys:


  • You never really feel like you're good at it.  Every parent feels inadequate at times.
  • You have to be a kid with them sometimes.  Some of my best memories are the times when I acted a fool with them.
  • You have to be the adult most of the time.  Most of my worst moments as a parent are when I didn't act like the adult.  They'll have lots of buddies and friends.  They get one dad.  
  • Sometimes I like to say, "I'm a dad, I'm not allowed to have feelings."  Really, get over feelings.  I want my sons to respect me when they're 25.
  • They forgive and forget your mistakes way quicker than I do.  They're over it, and we need to learn to get over it when we screw up.
  • They're listening...to every word.
  • If Walker (my five year-old) says his arm really hurts...it's broken.  Best to not wait a week before going to the doctor.
  • Pulling loose teeth should be an Olympic sport.  I think I could compete.  (Twist and pull is the secret).
  • Toddlers pooping in the potty is cause for household celebration.
  • It'll grow back, eventually. The grass, the skin, the hair, even the Sheetrock.  
  • I am going to live the next 15 years in a locker room.  When my youngest graduates and leaves for college, my house will smell nice again.  God bless my sweet wife.
  • Good thing peanut butter counts as protein.
  • Good thing cheese counts as protein.
  • Good thing you don't have to have protein to constitute a meal.
  • It may be a while before they're bigger than me, but pretty soon they're going to be able to gang up on me.
  • With four boys, pretty soon I'm going to cut my last blade of grass around here for a long, long time.
  • Unfortunately, I'm going to need to take out a loan to go to the grocery store pretty soon.  And on that note, I never realized how much money my parents spent on me.
  • It sure is nice when the house is quiet at night.  Those moments are rare in these parts.
  • Being a father is humbling.  I have to do it every day, and I never do it perfectly.
  • Whenever my boys ask me to go throw the football in the backyard, I try to always say, "Yes!"
  • Fatherhood has some of the most richest rewards and has taught me so much about how God views us.  
  • As good as the early days in marriage were before kids and as sweet as the empty-nest days will be, I know I'm living in some of the best times right now.
  • I love being a father, but thank God I don't have to be a mom.  Those women are heroes.

3 comments:

Carter McInnis said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Really funny and real . It's cool we can call u one of our own . G od had blessed y ou with a gift of great proportions carter and u certainly serve our lord in a wonderfully human way that had touched me greatly . Thank you and God bless you and your family and church family .

Carter McInnis said...

I appreciate the kind words!