First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Truth About Interracial Couples

Apparently there has been some uproar over this new Cheerios commercial:


Isn't she precious?  In response to those stirring up the controversy and upset over the commercial, part of me feels compelled to say, "What planet do you live on?"  Seriously, I don't get it.  I grew up and have lived my whole life in the Deep South, where racial tensions have often been high.  In college, I worked with an SEC football team and came to understand race in a new way.  Simply, I was ignorant.  Not in a bad way.  I had just never been exposed to African-American people on a large scale.  I had acquaintances, but not friends.  I became friends with people who I found to be a lot like me but just had a different color skin.

However, I still wasn't sure about interracial couples.  Mostly, that was because I didn't really know my Bible.  I became friends with an engaged couple in Fellowship of Christian Athletes.  She was a basketball player on the women's team, and he was a team manager.  She was African-American.  He was white.  And they were the most Godly couple I had ever known.  I began to search my Bible.  I found out Moses' wife was from Ethiopia.  How many white folks do you know from Ethiopia?  I read about Solomon's wife with dark skin in Song of Solomon.  Why hadn't I been taught this in Sunday School?

Then, I started dating a girl from Russia.  She was white.  But I began to realize that I had more in common and probably more ancestral commonality with African-Americans in the Deep South than her.  I realized that skin color is so subjective.  

But, the most important thing is what God said in the beginning:  that we are made in God's image.  All of us. Every skin tone represents who God is.  God doesn't see colors.  God sees himself.  I am ashamed and appalled that this would still be a topic of discussion in 2013.  I am blessed to live in a community with rich diversity and blessed to serve a church in which many nations and skin tones are represented.  We are united under the cross of Christ.  We have always sought to make our church a place where all are welcomed.  Any other teaching is not of God, and the Church must continue to stand up to teach truth in the face of ugliness.  We must also be willing to enter into discussions with people, like me as an 18 year-old, who simply don't know any better and need someone to guide them to discipleship.

Sadly, I know that interracial couples are not welcomed in all churches across America.  That's why we've made it a point to make sure Church of the Way is a place where people of all colors, and families of all races and mixes can find a home.  I will always believe that the hatred and vitriol will continue to die as we pass the torch to another generation.  This will be of little issue to my children.  They simply don't see color because we haven't taught it.  Our prayer for them and teaching to them is that the most important  characteristic in their future mate is a deep devotion to Jesus.  THAT is what it means to be equally yoked.  Oh, and they can't marry a Phillies or Mets fan.

3 comments:

mariah said...

Glad you didn't say yellow jacket fan, because I'm secretly hoping SK will marry W someday :)

Guest said...

Some say that Moses and Solomon were also Black or of African descent. So to say that they were in interracial relationships would also be a lack of history known.

Carter McInnis said...

Haha, Mariah! They'd be a pair!

As for Moses and/or Solomon being African, that's absolutely a possibility. What we do know is that they were Hebrew, which was probably closer to black or African than what we now understand as Hebrew. Still, people from Cush would have probably had a darker skin tone. I'm no Old Testament scholar, though. I'm a pastor.

I appreciate the comment! There's a lot of mystery in the history still there, that's why the biggest theme for me has always been that we're all made in God's image