First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sticks & Stones

"No foul language is to come from your mouth, but only what is good for building up someone in need, so that it give grace to those who hear."  Ephesians 4:29

Today I read a phenomenal quote about how we speak about others:  "Protecting the reputation of those who aren't present gains the trust of those who are."  I have a quick tongue.  One of the profound challenges I've faced in my own life has been guarding my words.  Not necessarily foul language.  I've never felt the need to curse.  However, it's so easy to say a word that does not lift others up or rushes to a quick judgment.  It's so easy to speak negatively about those that aren't present before we have all the facts.  This is a growing edge for me, but it is so important.  Christians, for as long as I've been around, are notorious about gossiping.  We even gossip in group prayer settings.  Often, we don't mean to.  We say something negative about someone or make a snap judgment before we know what's really going on in someone's life.  Those words can never be taken back, and they're not helpful. Not only that, but people start to think, "I wonder what they say when I'm not around?"  It breeds mistrust.  


Words are so important.  How we speak and the tones we use reveal something deep within us.  I so want people to experience grace, as the passage says, when they are in conversation with me, even if it's a difficult conversation.  And, when we do mess up and speak a word that is wrong, let us be quick to take ownership and apologize.  So, think about how you're speaking today.  Think about how you speak about those that aren't present.  Let us allow the Holy Spirit to offer grace to others through our words.  I truly believe God wants this for us because life is better that way.

No comments: