First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Monday, November 4, 2013

Alone

I went to see the movie Gravity a couple of weeks ago.  I'd been dying to see it.  It was crazy.  One of the most unique movies I've ever seen.  It's quiet, because space is quiet.  So, that's weird.  There are also very few actors in it, kind of like Castaway.  And, to me, it was terrifying.  I've told people that it's basically the scariest situation you could imagine yourself ever being in -- floating in space.  There's nothing you can do.  You can't move.  There is no game plan.  There is no one to help.  You are utterly and completely helpless.  And alone.

I began to think about how I would react in a situation like that.  I thought, "My only hope would be in knowing that I was NOT alone."  Floating in space is about as stark and empty as you can get, but it's not out of God's reach, for He is the creator of the universe.

A lot of people feel that way in life -- like they are floating around helplessly with no game plan and no hope.  It feels stark and empty in the face of heartache, illness, divorce, depression, or sin.  Some people feel numb because of where life has taken them.  Earth and the rest of the world look like a long ways away.  But you are not alone.  We get really confused about the promises of God.  Some of that has been the fault of the church that has told us to pray this or do that and God will give us what we want or take us where we desire.  I'm not sure God works that way.  I don't see that in the Scriptures.  I see people who were floating along in life and grabbed hold of a lifeline in God.  The promise we have is that God is here.  Jesus came to scream at us that God is here.  The Holy Spirit blew through the Early Church to announce that God is here.  God knocks on our heart in the quiet moments or during a song or in the strangest places to tell us that He is here.

If you can grab hold of that promise, I can't tell you that it'll all be okay right then and there.  I can't tell you that every problem will get fixed.  I can tell you that you'll get there, though.  You'll stop spinning in space.  You'll stop floating in hopelessness.  Just hold on to Him, even when...especially when...He's all there is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep a good attitude and do the right thing even when it's hard. When you do that you are passing the test. And God promises you your marked moments are on their way. See the link below for more info.

#promises
www.inspgift.com

Carter McInnis said...

Thanks, Leslie. Been a little slow getting blogs up lately, but working on a few. Appreciate you reading.