First United Methodist Church of Griffin

Thursday, November 7, 2013

I promise I'm not a teenage girl

I'm a big country music fan.  I grew up on 80's pop and rock, but turned to country music in the 90's when Garth Brooks bursts onto the scene.  There was a time I wanted to be a country music singer, and I've got the belt buckles to prove it.  So, when the CMA awards were on Wednesday night, I had to watch.

I watch mainly for the music, and I love it when something different is done, like Dave Grohl playing drums with the Zac Brown Band.  However, Grohl and the Foo Fighters are one of my favorites, so I was totally bummed he didn't sing.

But, I found myself kind of in awe of Taylor Swift.  A few years ago, I wanted to not like her.  "She's another teeny-bopper that won't last," I'd say.  Except she's not.   They gave her a new 'Pinnacle' Award, and you could see the respect her older colleagues have for her.  She's written every song on every album she's ever recorded.  She sings about what she cares about.  She carries herself and her industry with class.  She adores her fans and they adore her.  She's 23 and still brings her parents to award shows.  She's honorable.

You could see that in the eyes of those experienced musicians who spoke of her.  They see that what she's done, she's done it with great honor.  She wrote songs that people wanted to hear.  She wasn't just a face that got pushed on the the scene by a record label who was barely a musician.  She did it with honor, and she carries herself with honor.

We live in a culture that has seemingly forgotten honor.  The Bible says that humility brings about honor.  It would be a good thing for each of us to be honorable.  It'd be a good thing for us to carry ourselves with honor.  Honor is admired by every generation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well said Carter, so many times we only focus on the negative & shocking things in the world w/o acknowledging the good stuff out there, thanks!